SHANGLA: Two minor sisters died of a mysterious health problem in Alpuri tehsil here.
Three similar deaths were reported in Dehrai area last week.
Resident Fazal Hassan told Dawn that his daughters, including Shamaina Bibi, 7, and Adna Bibi, 5, died after going down with a serious health issue, which the doctors couldn’t detect.
He said Shamaina fell unwell and used medicines prescribed by a local doctor but she later complained of kidney pain and breathed her last.
The resident said the deceased’s younger sister, Adna Bibi, also fell ill next day and was taken to the district headquarters hospital, Alpuri, where she underwent tests, which disclosed liver and kidney failure.
He said though her daughter’s condition deteriorated, the hospital refused to admit her.
Mr Hassan said he later took the girl to Swat, where she died.
He said the Saidu Teaching Hospital doctors claimed that Adna Bibi had consumed some poisonous substance, which damaged her internal organs.
Three siblings had died in Dehrai area last week with the doctors and police attributing deaths to the consumption of poisonous substances.
Spokesperson for the district health department Kamalzada told Dawn that deaths should be investigated properly. He said he suspected that some seasonal disease or use of poisonous mushrooms would have killed the girls.
The residents demanded that the health department hold investigation to ascertain reason for deaths.